The Eiffel tower also known as the Iron Lady of France, is one of the tallest iron structures ever built by man. The tower resides in Paris, France and it was built in 1889. It was designed by world renowned engineer Gustave Eiffel and if you are wondering when and why was the Eiffel Tower built, it was built as the entrance arch to the 1889 World's Fair. The Eiffel Tower is the tallest building in Paris and the most visited paid monument in the world. More than 5 million people visit the Eiffel Tower every year making it one of the most popular tourist attractions in France and around the world. In this article you will know the correct address of the Eiffel Tower located and some amazing never heard facts.
Location of the Eiffel Tower
Eiffel Tower is located in Paris. However, the detailed address is; Eiffel Tower is located on the left bank (southern bank) of the Seine river at the northwestern extreme of the Parc du Champ de Mars. It's a park which comes in the front of École Militaire which used to be a military parade ground. The strong four pillars of the Eiffel tower are aligned to the points of a compass and the base is exactly the size of two American football fields. The nearest metro stations to the Eiffel Tower are the Bir-Hakeim to the southwest and Trocadéro to the northwest. So if you come through the station you can see many great views while coming to the Eiffel Tower.
Information on the Eiffel Tower
Now, that you know the location, here are some facts about the Eiffel Tower, Paris. If you ever plan to visit Paris, knowing some Eiffel Tower information might prove useful. Eiffel Tower can truly be described as the national symbol of France and one of the most beautiful tourist destinations of the French land.
- If you want to know how tall is the Eiffel tower, its height including the antenna is 324 m. The height of antenna is 79 ft. The tower is equal to the height of 81 levels of a commercial building.
- The construction on the tower began on January 26th 1887 and it was completed on March 31st 1889.
- Till 1930, the Eiffel tower was the tallest building in the world.
- The metal structure weighs around 7,300 tons, while the total weight of entire tower is more than 10,000.
- 18,038 iron parts and 2,500,000 rivets make up the entire Eiffel Tower.
- More than 50 engineers and designers came up with more than 5000 drawings and over 100 workers built different parts of the tower in a workshop.
- The four supporting towers of the Eiffel Tower form a square that measures 125 meters on each side.
- The first floor of the tower is at 57 m while the second and the third tower are 115 m and 276 m.
- People can visit the different floors of the tower through elevators. People bound to a wheelchair can use elevators up to the second floor of the building
- The tower is also home to more than dozen antennas which help in communication all over France.
- Strong wind currents have moved the Eiffel tower from its initial position. In the storm of 1999, the tower moved about 13 cm from its original position.
- The tower is open 365 days a year..
- The majestic Eiffel Tower is painted every seven years. Three different shades of brown are used to color the entire tower.
- Due to great height of the Eiffel Tower, environmental scientists often use it to study the impact and behavior of strong wind currents.
- You can find two restaurants in the Eiffel Tower. Altitude is on the first floor and Jules Verne is on the second.
- Since, its inception more than 250 million people have visited the Eiffel Tower which indirectly boosts up France tourism.
- Almost 60 tons of paint is required to paint the Eiffel Tower and it takes almost 14 months to paint the entire tower.
I hope now you know everything there is to know about the Eiffel Tower. The popularity of the tower has surpassed all expectations and it's just impossible to imagine France without this majestic tower.