If you plan to travel and want to learn how to save money on the airfare, then a bit of planning before a month can greatly help you to save a lot of bucks. Certain rules and regulations of airline companies change as the time of the flight comes closer, and knowing when the flight tickets are cheapest can help. Here are pointers that will help you understand the best time to book flights online and other travel tips that will help you save money on airfare.
Best Time to Book a Flight & Other Tips
- The right time to book airline flights is 21 days before your departure date. So, don't wait till the last day, because airline and most travel sites give a bigger discount to people who book their tickets before 21 days. After this time period the ticket prices can change. The most expensive airfare rates are found 14 days or later. So, any day that is 21 days before the departure date is the best time to find dirt cheap flights.
- Also, booking online the ticket on site of the airline or travel sites will give a bigger discount and cheaper airfare price, because this saves the overhead cost of printing and handling a paper ticket.
- According to travel professionals the best time to book cheap flight online is during mid-January to end February, April to May and during the fall from mid-September to mid-December.
- There is nothing as such the best day to book flights. So, 22-23 days before keep checking the flight tickets, in the early morning, in the noon, in the evening and near midnight. If you see any difference on a site, then on the 21st day book ticket on that particular time.
- Also, while booking tickets online, keep checking out different sites to find best and cheap airfare. Most people tend to use Travelocity or Expedia, but keep checking the individual airline sites which sometimes offer low airfare too.
- Also, if you are planning to go for a vacation, for example looking for cheap flights to Vegas, then fly on Tuesday or Wednesday, as these days the rush to such places is less, which makes them cheapest days to fly. Also, booking hotels along with flight can avail you more discount. Booking air, car and hotel can give you even further discount.
- If you are a student or in the defense services, then you can get even further discount.
- Booking return ticket can also avail you further discount, and help you to buy cheap airline tickets.
- If you are planning on a vacation, then booking for an off-season time will give you more discount. As airlines and tourist locations want people to travel to these destination during the off-season time too. Also, consider changing your departure date a day or two before, as this can make difference in the ticket price. Same goes for the return journey ticket.
- Sometimes, booking a flight ticket just an hour or two before the departure of the flight can also avail you a huge discount. But, to book for such flight tickets you will need to book the ticket at the airport directly.
So, go to travel sites and check out the dates of flight tickets which are 21 days ahead or a day or two after today, and you will see the difference in rates. Another way to save on air tickets, is to collect points or miles. If you are a frequent flyer you can collect the miles, and then redeem them to get a discount on your next flight ticket. You can also collect points on your credit card and then use it to get discounts on air ticket. So, use these tips, and book cheaper flight tickets.